Southampton have announced that they have sold 21,000 season tickets to the Southampton faithful for the coming season which sets a new record for the club.
Premier League Fixtures
Arsenal – Leicester City
Bournemouth – Sunderland
Chelsea – Tottenham
Liverpool – Aston Villa
Manchester City – Stoke City
Newcastle United – Crystal Palace
Swansea City – Norwich City
Watford – Manchester United
West Bromwich Albion – Southampton
West Ham – Everton
With everyone available to Terry Moore in his first Premier League match he is able to select a strong side. On the bench: Shane Long, Maya Yoshida, Victor Wanyama, Graziano Pelle, Jake McCarthy, Steven Davis and Emmanuel Mayuka.
West Bromwich Albion have gone for a 4-4-1-1 with a team of: Ben Foster(GK), Christian Gamboa(RB), Craig Dawson(CB), Joleon Lescott(CB), Maynorl Figueroa(LB), James Morrison(RM), Jonny Howson(CM), Darren Fletcher(CM), Chris Brunt(LM), Stephane Sessegnon(CAM), Saido Berahino(ST).
The premier league adventure starts here for both teams at The Hawthorns. With Southampton hoping for a Champions League spot and West Bromwich Albion hoping to build on their 13th place finish last year. The players will be playing in 15°C in front of a crowd of 25,746.
(00) Southampton kick off here.
(03) Tadic passes to Ward-Prowse who sees his shot saved by Foster.
(04) Disallowed Goal! Charlie Austin is played in by a great pass by Ward-Prowse and Austin coolly slots the ball into the corner of the net only to see the offside flag raised by the assistant referee.
(08) GOAL!! Charlie Austin seizes on a poor back pass by Gamboa to toe poke the ball past Foster.
(17) Yellow Card!! Bertrand is shown a yellow card for a trip on Berahino.
(21) Behrahino forces a top save out of Forster.
(29) GOAL!! Morgan Schniederlin scores Southampton’s second as he nicks the ball off the toe of Lescott and beats Foster at his near post. Another West Bromwich Albion mistake leading to a goal.
(32) Saido Berahino is played in and is only denied by a great reflex save from Forster.
(34) Yellow Card!! Michael Oliver reaches into his pocket and shows Howson a yellow for a trip on Tadic.
(38) A misjudgment of a long ball by Jose Fonte allows Behrahino in on goal again but this time he is denied by the post. Southampton got very lucky there he should have scored.
(HT) A good performance by both teams in the first half but it is Southampton who have taken their chances to give them a 2-0 lead.
(45) West Bromwich Albion get us back underway with only one change as Samaras replaces Sessegnon.
(60) GOAL!! Clyne beats his man and then manages to send a terrific ball into the box which is met by the head of Charlie Austin who anticipated the play well and gets his reward as he sees the net bulge from his powerful header.
(67) Substitution:A double substitution from West Brom as Gardner replaces Howson and Figueroa replaces Pocognoli.
(82) Yellow Card!! Fletcher is shown a yellow card for a trip on Tadic.
(87) Substitution:Sadio Mane makes his way to the bench and is replaced by Shane Long. Also Victor Wanyama is walking on to replace Yacob.
(89) Yellow Card!! Dawson goes down in the book for a kick out on Austin.
(FT) West Bromwich Albion 0-3 Southampton
A resounding win here from Southampton as they show their firepower to score three goals against an organised Tony Pulis’s West Bromwich Albion side. Goals for Charlie Austin (2) and Morgan Schniederlin. Assists from Nathaniel Clyne. Charlie Austin gets man of the match for his 2 goals.
Results From Around The Grounds
Europa League Fixtures
Luzern – IFK Göteborg
GA Eagles – Atromitos
Aberdeen – Asteras Tripolis
Rio Ave – Petrolul
Dortmund – Haugesund
Basaksehir – CFR Cluj
Ermis Aradippou – Rijeka
Metalist Kharkiv – Hapoel Be’er Sheva
KV Mechelen – Bordeaux
Trnava – AaB
Hajduk – AIK
Trabzonspor – Shakhter
Neman Grodno – Southampton
Györ – Athletic
Koper – Vitesse
Vorskla – Flamurtari
West Ham – VPS
Botev – Rubin
Trencin – Dinamo Moscow
Inter Baki – Slovan Liberec
CSKA Sofia – Irony Kiryat-Shmona
AFC Astra – FC Gronigen
Thun – Mladá Boleslav
Inverness CT – Torino
Randers FC – Rosenburg
Lech – Neftçi
Litex – Ferencvaros
Dinamo Minsk – Viktoria Plzeñ
Jagodina – SV Grödig
Christian Gentner finally gets his first start for Southampton coming back from a fractured cheekbone to make his first start. On the bench Moore has named: Kelvin Davis, Matthew Targett, Victor Wanyama, Graziano Pellè, Maya Yoshida, Steven Davis and Shane Long.
The Neman Grodno starting line-up is the same as the first leg Oleg Kurganskly(GK)(C),Boris Slvakov(RB), Dzmitry Milash(CB), Eugenity Kovalev(CB), Igor Tarlovskly(LB), Khalid But’ko(CDM), Alexey Aliev(CM), Alexander Bordak(CM), Robert Barabanov(RAM), Igor Dyatiov(LAM), Artem Kovalevskly(ST).
Welcome to the second leg of this European tie as Southampton look to defend their 2 goal lead at the CSK Neman stadium. It is a breezy 16°C here at pitch level for the evening kick-off. The attendance is 8,628 in the all-seater stadium.
(00) Southampton start us off here as Austin passes to Tadic.
(07) GOAL!! Southampton start fast again as a shot by Tadic on the edge of the box can only be parried by Kurganskly into the path of Mane who has an easy tap-in.
(13) GOAL!! Brilliant play by Southampton as Neman Grodno are destroyed by some one touch passes in the right corner that results in a goal when Tadic lays it off to Gentner who displays the presence of mind to chip it over the keeper from the edge of the box.
(24) GOAL!! Mane beats his man and then puts a teasing cross towards Austin who draws in 2 defenders only for the cross to beat them all and fall to the feet of Ward-Prowse who hadn’t been picked up at the back post and it was an easy finish from 5 yards for the England U-21 international.
(31) Southampton go close as Schneiderlin tries to curl one into the top corner from just outside the box but he just can’t get it to bend enough.
(45) A good chance for Mane as the ball breaks for him after bobbling around in the box but he can only find the arms of the keeper with his effort.
(HT) Southampton are definitely through as they show the difference in quality between the two sides.
(45) Neman Grodno get us back underway. Only one change as Igor Dyatiov is replaced with Filip Gurinovich
(49) Yellow Card!! But’ko is shown a yellow for a trip on Mane.
(53) Another great chance for Mane as Schneiderlin draws in the Neman Grodno right-back before playing a reverse pass to Mane who is one-on-one with the goalkeeper but does poorly as he shoots straight at him.
(54) Red Card!! Neman Grodno are down to 10 men again in the second leg as But’ko is sent off for a second yellow. Following the red card Neman Grodno are making a substitution as Alexander Bordak is replaced with Yuriy Vysotskiy.
(55) Another great chance comes from the free-kick as again Mane is one-on-one with the keeper but this time he hits the post. He really needs to work on his finishing.
(61) Substitution: Artem Kovalevskly comes off for Yaroslav Andreev.
(72) Yellow Card!! Kovalev is shown a yellow card for a petty trip on Tadic.
(75) Substitution: A double change for Southampton as Christian Gentner is replaced by Victor Wanyama and Dusan Tadic heads off the pitch to be replaced by Steven Davis.
(83) Wanyama hits the post this time with a powerful shot that is inches from going in from 35 yards.
(89) GOAL!! Ward-Prowse gets his second as Clyne passes it to him in the box and with his back to goal and surrounded by 3 players he somehow manages to turn and get a snapshot away that goes through the legs of a defender and nestles in the bottom corner.
(FT) Neman Grodno 0-4 Southampton (aggregate score 0-6)
The Southampton fans who made the trip to Bulgaria will be going home happy as their team has dominated the Bulgarian First Division team.Goals from Ward-Prowse (2), Mane and Gentner. Assists from Tadic (2), Mane and Clyne. Man of the match is given to James Ward-Prowse for his 2 goal haul.
Results From Around The Grounds
Southampton start their competitive season early as they qualified for the Europa League last year with a 7th placed finish. Southampton have enjoyed a very successful pre-season as with 2 friendly games remaining. They started with a 2-2 draw against Danish side Silkborg IF with goals from Emmanuel Mayuka and Lloyd Isgrove to young players given starts by Moore as he attempts to find the next youth academy star. In their second game Southampton beat Ipswich 3-2 in a thrilling match with goals from Maya Yoshida and a brace from Sadio Mané giving them the victory. Then an easy victory away at Dorchester 3-0 with goals coming through Graziano Pellè and Gastón Ramírez before Chris Dillon suffered the misfortune of scoring an own goal. The final friendly before the home leg against Neman Grodno was a 2-0 victory against League 2 Leyton Orient were a younger rotated Southampton side showed their class by dominating with goals coming through young center-back Oskar Cvjetičanin and Charlie Austin.
Europa League Fixtures
IFK Göteborg – Luzern
Atromitos – GA Eagles
Asteras Tripolis – Aberdeen
Petrolul – Rio Ave
Haugesund – Dortmund
CFR Cluj – Basaksehir
Rijeka – Ermis Aradippou
Hapoel Be’er Sheva – Metalist Kharkiv
Bordeaux – KV Mechelen
AaB – Trnava
AIK – Hajduk
Shakhter – Trabzonspor
Southampton – Neman Grodno
Athletic – Györ
Vitesse – Koper
Flamurtari – Vorskla
VPS – West Ham
Rubin – Botev
Dinamo Moscow – Trencin
Slovan Liberec – Inter Baki
Irony Kiryat-Shmona – CSKA Sofia
FC Gronigen – AFC Astra
Mladá Boleslav – Thun
Torino – Inverness CT
Rosenburg – Randers FC
Neftçi – Lech
Ferencvaros – Litex
Viktoria Plzeñ – Dinamo Minsk
SV Grödig – Jagodina
New manager Terry Moore has announced his first competitive senior squad giving a glimpse of the players and tactics that he may use during his time at the club. He has given competitive debuts to 3 players Claudio Yacob, Nicolas Nkoulou and Charlie Austin. On the bench Moore has named: Kevin Davis, Maya Yoshida, Victor Wanyama, Graziano Pellè, Matthew Targett, Steven Davis and Pablo Osvaldo.
The Neman Grodno starting line-up is Oleg Kurganskly(GK)(C),Boris Slvakov(RB), Dzmitry Milash(CB), Eugenity Kovalev(CB), Igor Tarlovskly(LB), Khalid But’ko(CDM), Alexey Aliev(CM), Alexander Bordak(CM), Robert Barabanov(RAM), Igor Dyatiov(LAM), Artem Kovalevskly(ST).
Welcome to St Mary’s where a star studded Southampton come up against the hard working Neman Grodno on a warm 13°C evening. The official attendance is 21,870 in the 32,000 capacity stadium.
(00) Neman Grodno get us underway as Mr Orsato blows his whistle.
(02) An early chance as Ward-Prowse sends in the corner but Fonte can only head into the arms of Kurganskly.
(04) Fonte heads inches wide from another good corner by Ward-Prowse. A quick start by Southampton here Neman Grodno need to get tighter or they run the risk of conceding an early goal.
(06) GOAL!! And it is Southampton who draw first blood as Charlie Austin finds himself free on the penalty spot to put the ball past the keeper after some great work by Tadic and Mane down the left. You can’t say that Neman Grodno didn’t have the warning signs in the opening exchanges but they just didn’t learn from them and have been punished. Tadic with the assist.
(10) A testing free-kick from Aliev is well dealt with by Forster as he easily holds.
(18) On the counter Southampton nearly double their lead as Tadic finds Ward-Prowse with a delicious chip over the Neman Grodno defence but Ward-Prowse can’t find a way to get past Kurganskly who is keeping his team in the game at the moment.
(27) Penalty!! A well worked move down the left ends in a penalty as Mane is brought down by Milash.
(28) GOAL!! Charlie Austin doubles Southampton’s lead with an excellent penalty placed in the left hand corner. The keeper went the right way but couldn’t get his hand to it. Assist from Mane.
(42) Austin nearly completes his hat-trick as his header from 6-yards goes agonizingly over the bar after a great run and cross from Mane. All he had to do was direct it.
(45) Tadic has a half chance on the edge of the box but can only direct it into the keepers grateful arms.
(HT) A dominant first-half performance from the Saints as they go in at the break with a 2-0 lead but they could have easily had 3 or 4. Mane down the left has been lively with some nice play between him and Tadic.
One change at half time for Neman Grodno as Igor Dyatiov is substituted and Filipp Gurinovich enters the field.
(45) Southampton get us underway again for this second half.
(53) Kurganskly has to be at full stretch again to keep out a shot on the turn from Austin. That was another really good chance for the new man on his debut.
(61) Substitution: Eugenly Kovalev is being replaced by Yurly Vysotskly
(72) Substitution: Claudio Yacob isn’t going to make the distance as Victor Wanyama comes on as the holding midfielder.
(75) RED CARD!! That is another stupid challenge by Aliev and he has paid the price as he is sent from the pitch by the referee. He has already been given numerous warnings by the referee. The second yellow card came because of a silly challenge on Wanyama even though he was not going anywhere. Wanyama just shielded the ball and took the foul.
(80) Substitution: Yurly Stankevich will replace Robert Barabanov
(90) And we have 3 minutes added time here
(FT) A very good attacking display from Southampton has given Terry Moore a first win in charge of the first team thanks to 2 goals from Charlie Austin with assists from Mane and Tadic.
Results From Around The Grounds
More transfer news coming out of St Mary’s this afternoon as they confirm the signing of 29 year old Christian Gentner from Stuttgart for a total fee of £7.75 million. The central and defensive midfield player ,who has spent most of his career at Stuttgart with two spells at the club, will be a valuable asset to Terry Moore in the new Southampton bosses conquest for European football. When interviewed at a press conference, to reveal new signing Gentner, Moore told the media that there will be no more signings in pre-season as he has used up his budget.In other Southampton news they have picked up two new scouts to widen their scouting knowledge. Dave Worthington and Lindsay Parsons are all ready on scouting missions looking for the next potential Southampton star.
Finally the deal has gone through. After weeks negotiating Southampton have finally completed the signing of Nicolas Nkoulou from Marseille for £10 million on a £37,000 a week contract. Everyone knew that they needed to sign a defender but nobody knew who it would finally be. There were many rumors floating around that it might be Dragovic coming to St Mary’s. But it is good business by the saints as Nkoulou is regarded by many as one of the great defenders in years to come.
Southampton FC have created an affiliation with Spartak Moscow. In practice this affiliation will allow Southampton to have the first chance to purchase any players from the Spartak Moscow setup. A senior Southampton director has told us the reason behind the decision “Well at first there was a number of teams that we were going to choose out of with Dinamo Moscow being one of them. But as soon as we saw their incredible youth facilities and the way they brought their youth players on just like us at Southampton we had no other choice than to affiliate with them. Mark my words they will bring through some top quality players in the next 10 years”.